This very simple salad has become one of our favorites at home. It is light, soft and very suitable for hot summer days. Best results are obtained when using hard zucchinis, this way there are less liquids in the vegetable. Also, using green ones adds some attractive color to the resulting salad. Could also be made with mixing green, yellow and white zucchinis, and then the salad will be very colorful. It is better to use small zucchinis, as they have less seeds and keep their structure better under thermal processing.
600 gr. zucchini
1 medium-sized onion
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 bunches of dill
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- Grate the zucchinis on a coarse grater, salt a bit and them put in a colander and leave there for 15 minutes. Hard-boil the eggs.
- In a wide frying pan or heavy-bottomed saucepan heat the oil and fry the onions until transparent. Then press the grated zucchini to remove the extra liquids and add them to the onions.
- Increase the heat to maximal and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, The zucchini should become more colorful and softer, but still remain “crunchy”. Remove from heat and cool when ready.
- Finely chop the dill (the eventual amount should be approximately 1/2 glass) and grate the hard-boiled eggs.
- Add the chopped dill and the grated eggs to the zucchini, add pepper and salt (by taste) and the mayonnaise. Mix everything and serve.
*The salad can be kept in the refrigerator for a couple of days without loosing its taste or substance.